The EXPECT study needs your help to learn what people expect from treatments like these. We are trying to reach people before or immediately after their first visit!
How you can help.
Simply answer a few questions to make sure you are eligible, and then complete a research survey online about your back pain and your expectations of the treatment you’re starting. Your experiences and opinions will help researchers conduct new studies to test how well these treatments work for people like you. You will also receive up to $30 to thank you for your contribution to back pain research.
What is the online survey like?
- The survey only takes about 30 minutes. It starts with a few questions to make sure you are eligible for the study. Next, it asks questions about you, your back pain, and how you feel about the treatment you’re starting.
- The survey should be completed before your first appointment for the new treatment or within 7 days after your appointment.
- If you are eligible and complete the survey in that timeframe, the study will give you $20 as a thank you!
- Some people may be eligible to take the survey a second time and will receive an extra $10.
Who can take the online survey?
People who are just starting or planning to start massage, acupuncture, yoga, or chiropractic care as a treatment for low back pain, and who haven’t used this treatment in the past 3 years may be eligible for this study. To be eligible, you must:
- be 20 to 70 years old
- have low back pain that has lasted 3 months or longer
- be starting or planning to start a brand new acupuncture, yoga, massage, or chiropractic treatment for back pain
- have had your first treatment within the last 7 days or have not yet had your first treatment
- have not otherwise used this treatment in the past 3 years
- meet certain other requirements
Ready to find out if you’re eligible?
- Click here to get started! It only takes a few minutes to find out if you are eligible for the EXPECT study.
- You’ll also have a chance to review more details about the study before deciding if you want to complete the survey.
If you have questions or want more information about the EXPECT study, please call the project manager, Heidi Berthoud, at 206-442-5240.